Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On a bright and sunny day..

Concrete pillar falls on construction site office, killing supervisor

Usually you read news of freak accidents happening, but you never expect for one to actually occur to someone you know. Today a colleague of my mother's, Uncle Ronnie met with an incident that robbed him of his life. He had worked at the company for more than 13 years, dutifully commuting from Ipoh to KL and back whenever his job required him to do so. He was a good-hearted fellow who never had a temper. Blessed with 4 children, he toiled day and night to ensure they grew up with everything they needed, even though he had to do it alone as a single parent. At 51, his retirement was just a few years ahead, but then fate had to deal a cruel blow and take away the sole parent figure of his 4 children.

One single concrete pillar, one unfortunately positioned cabin, and poof, a human life was lost today. It's surreal, I've never had anyone I know die, and my first one happened today, a normal day by any standards to me. Being the first time I'm experiencing the loss of an acquaintance, I now understand how unexpected life can be, and death does not occur like those wish-wash soap operas you see on TV where people clutch a dying man's hand in a hospital ward and scream their throats hoarse. It just.. happens, not bound by schedule and human wants. Hell I could be sitting in the lecture hall tomorrow and have the projector crash on my head (touchwood!) for all I know. Live your life to the fullest, and never forget to tell your loved ones "I love you" whenever you have the chance.

Uncle Ronnie, we will always remember you and your "lat thing!" when shit happens. Shit really happened this time but you're not with us anymore. May your soul rest in peace and your children grow up to remember what a splendid father they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment